Author Topic: At Last I Have A Dowty (photos may not be visible to none regisitered members)  (Read 18458 times)

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
Now theres an idea, a V12  :o It would easily fit, so a Jaguar V12 would be good, but no I am a traditionalist, so back to the original.

The colour scheme is as I understand the original Dowty engine scheme to be. The boat is going to be two packed (not commercial paint), marine paint spray in white. The boats only came in three colours, white, white/red deck, white/blue deck, so I am going for straight white to burn the eyes in the sun on the sea.

I have a friend who is a sign writer and he is to paint on the sides, 'Dowty Turbocraft' as was the original demo boat. The other boat I think was one of 5 original demo boats according to the hull builder on the Isle of Wight and the serial numbers appear to tie up. The Pathe' News is hard to tell, but there are some details on the jet unit that are unique, but need to verify them before I declare it as one of the demos.
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat
1973 Almarine Spitfire Jet Boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
The jet id plate is hand engraved and only the prototypes were engraved I understand, unless someone can clarify that for me. The 1400, means number 14 and that is the jet unit only. These were imported from Canada and modified for the UK. The boat id plate ties up with the jet unit. The hull has secret marks that the IoW builders placed, similar to Albatrosses, so all is looking quite good for now. There were two jets, 2 and 3 stage, clearly mine is a two stage.
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
New starter solonoid fitted and I have cheated with a alternator (sorry), but a little more progress. Did manage to obtain two oil filters which are original, so fillted and one spare.
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
One thing for sure, a restoration project can try your patience. Now a new starter motor is required as the old one is tight, rusty and of no further use. At least they are easy to fit  :(
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
I am so grateful to Kingston Tools in Rushden, they let me roam around their nut and bolt bins and it is fantastic what I have found. Real Jubilee clips today and much more. Thanks Kingston Tools.
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
Dowty is at the sparayers right now. Engine will be off to the local mechanic for a check, wiring and first run up. Trailer now sorted and then all being well, I should have the boat up and running by the 'end' of the season, typical, but never mind, will start on the nice one next, should be a lot easier and I have learnt a great deal.

By the wau anyone know how to remove a bakelite steering wheel from its pinion   ::)
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
The engine awaiting, starter motor and new (I cheated) electronic dizzy (but looks the same) and the alternator, sorry folks, like to be reliable, but I have all the old components and electronic dizzy does not work on positive earth. Do you like the transport for the engine, nicely bolted to the trailer and can easily be run up from it with the water supply plugged.

An interesting fact is that the boat is actually lighter than the engine. All put together I think it weighs with trailer 800 kgs, what a shame, needs brakes  :(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:11:58 PM by BN »
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
Warning.

I knew this boat needed restoration, but when I find 6 holes in the hull filled with what appears to be 'polyfilla' and painted over, that is not good, especially as it was painted over and blew out with a pressure washer. I also found that the engine block was cracked and pained over. I was OK with my purchase because it is a resto job, but the boat was sold as a seaworthy boat, not so.

Be aware, the family could be in a boat like this and I dread to think  :o
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
I am like a child in a toy shop, just look at what I have just received from Best British Classic. I ordered it on Wednesday (15th June) and it arrived this morning the 17th June and was fitted by 12:00. I think it is fantastic and the service from Simon. The unit is an electronic distributor, but looks like the original points model from the outside. Look at picture number two and it is neat.

It even comes in the bundle offer with a Lucas coil. All for less than £100, beat that.

Simon can be contacted on sales@simonbbc.com or see the website at www.simonbbc.com and mention Old Speed Boats please.
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
Some more progress and it does make you wonder how we take boats out without checking underneath. This boat was known to be a bit of a wreck and it is sure showing that there are problems, but we are overcoming them.

The boat as it is today, with a lot of prepping to do. The hull will be sound, but at the moment it is very much a seive  :(
I now have to ask the question why the bow has been painted, we will see tomorrow, more Polyfilla I suspect  :o
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:01:08 PM by BN »
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
Well, Best British Classics have done it again. I ordered some HT leads from them yesterday and Posty delivered this morning at 09:15, fantastic service and these leads are hand made to order. Thanks Simon.

Simon can be contacted on:
01527 889453
or www.simonbbc.com
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
The electronic ignition is on as are the leads and coil, smart eh. OK, I know the cable ties are the wrong colour and were not invented then, but just looking at how to tidy them up. Fantastic job Simon and my measurements were quite good, even though I say it myself  8)

The rubber tube is to carry the wires to the control box. Yes a little bit of poetic licence for safety, sorry.
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
Took out the second Dowty yesterday and swapped trailers, just as well really, because the old one has damaged the hull. I plan to start on this one next, but need to get a bit of steam back first. The trailer is a bit of a monster, so boat on new trailer now, picture later.

When I floated the boat, water poured in from the stern, so the jet has to come out and a full referb is now planned, for boat two.

Actually apart from a bit of dirt the boat looks sound, but it will need a lot of work underneath around the jet intake, which leaks badly. It also has the plumbing wrong. The oil cooling system has been short cut for some reason and does nothing, which is not good, so the engine will have to be rebuilt sadly.

Yes, the good old faithful Jimny tows it well and well within its capabilities  :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:46:57 AM by BN »
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
The boat hull bottom is nearly done and I have a load of bits to make a bespoke new trailer. Work on the trailer starts next week and the boat will be placed onto the new trailer possibly the week following. Then I can start rebuilding the boat back to as near orginal as possible  :D

As a result, I may have a 4 wheel trailer going, so if anyone would like to contact me, we can discuss it. It is far too big for the Dowty and is quite wide.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 12:13:19 PM by BN »
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat

Offline BN

• Administrator
  • Speed Boat
  • WEBMASTER/OWNER
    • oldspeedboats.co.uk
Some of the items to make the new trailer. Main bits from Peak Trailers, just look at those lovely wheels with low profile tyres. The axles are splined to adjust the angle of the axle.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:35:35 PM by BN »
1953 Albatross
1959 Dowty
1960 Dowty project boat